Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 7571/2019 - 26/08/2019
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 42,0 TP
1. Know and use of the theory and statistical techniques for organizing, synthesizing and presenting data set.
2. To solve some statistical functions in Excel and graphic elaboration.
3. Learn the concepts, techniques and abilities to interpret results of descriptive data sets.
4. Be capable of thinking about statistical issues.
5. Solve problems and results interpretation.
1. Introduction to Statistic
1.1 What is Statistics? Quantitative and qualitative methods
1.2 Statistical method - steps
1.3 Data organisation and presentation
1.4 More common tables and graphs
1.5 Report elaboration
2. Fundamental concepts
2.1 Data set, sample and population
2.2 Descriptive and inductive statistics
2.3 Types of variables
2.4 Types of measurement scales
2.5 Frequency distribution
3. Measures of central tendency or location
3.4 Tables and graphs data set presentation
4. Measures of dispersion and asymmetry
4.1 Standard deviation
4.2 Relative dispersion, dispersion coefficient
4.3 Extremes, quartiles, quintiles, deciles, centiles
4.4 Skewness and kurtosis
4.5 Gini concentration index, Lorenz curve
4.6 Graphs for data representation
5. Index numbers
5.1 Characterization and properties of index numbers
5.2 Index numbers types
5.3 Consumer price index
The active method allows students to play a central role in discovering and reflecting on the topics under discussion. Activities such as group work and case studies will be carried out.
One piece of assessment: continuous assessment or exam-based assessment (minimum grade of 9/20): 60% Final Test + 40% Group Work.
Theoretical presentation of the key aspects related to the course content.
Resolution of practical exercises that allow the critical intervention of students.
Software used in class
Zoom, Office, wahtsapp, email