Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 8645/2020 - 08/09/2020
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 PL + 30,0 TP + 5,0 OT
- António Martiniano Ventura
- Rui Manuel Domingos Gonçalves
This UC aims to introduce the basic concepts on the principles of image formation in an obscure camera, the handling of small format cameras (analog and digital), as well as the development of developing techniques.
Understand the basic laws of geometric optics and have contact with the various types of photographic lenses, as well as their functional properties.
1. Stenopeic camera (pin hole):
Camera construction and realization of negatives. Test strips and negative / positive relationships. Contact printing.
2. 35mm camera and digital camera:
Basic functions of the devices. Focus, aperture and depth of field. Shutter speeds. Sensitivity and resolution.
3. Developing 35mm film:
Introduction to the development lab.
4. Laws of geometric optics and photographic lenses;
Review of the laws of reflection and refraction. Light and ray of light. Photographic lenses - the various types; Relative apertures, field covered, spatial resolution. Limitations in image quality aberrations in image formation.
The assessment of learning will be done continuously.
Theoretical-practical knowledge will be assessed through the presentation, defense and discussion of the proposed practical works and a final portfolio.
Participation and presentation of exercises in practical classes (50%).
Presentation of final portfolio (50%).
Exam: written test (50%) + final portfolio (50%).
- Langford, M. (2009). Tratado de Fotografia. Lisboa: Omega
- Ansel, A. (1995). The Camera. .: Ansel Adams
- Renner, E. (2008). Pinhole Photography. Londres: Focal Press
- Smith, G. (2006). Camera Lenses: From Box Camera to Digital. .: SPIE Publications
This UC is supported by practical laboratory work, analysis of results and experimentation with alternatives.
Simultaneously, there will be lectures and demonstrations of each task ordered.
Software used in class
Optical representation and simulation OpticalRayTracer