Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 8645/2020 - 08/09/2020
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 10,0 OT
- Valter Nuno Garcez da Silva Ventura
To provide the student with a space to reflect and discuss the various fields related to the theory, analysis, realization and use of the Image.
Encourage a critical dialogue that promotes in the student the ultimate ability to argue about their own work.
Thinking the Image from the suggestion of different themes: journalism, advertising, art, memory, exhibitions.
Regain contact with texts by unavoidable and fundamental authors for understanding the Image.
1. From the world built by words, to the world created by images.
2. The image as an invention of reality.
3. Dilation and contraction: the time of the image and the time of the observer.
4. The narrative image: editing and montage.
5. The list, the index, the repetition, the table.
6. Panopticon instrument: the replacement of the divine look.
Constructive participation in class (10%) +
Writing frequency (90%).
Exam: written test (100%).
- Szarkowski, J. (2007). The Photographer's Eye. New York: The Museum of Modern Art
- Rosemblum, N. (1998). Une histoire mondiale de la photographie. .: Editions Abbeville
- Trachtenberg, A. (1980). Classic Essays on Photography. . Branford, Stony Creek: Leetes Island Books
- Serém, M. (2009). A Fotografia em Portugal, Arte Portuguesa, da Pré-história ao Século XX. . . lisboa: Fabu Editores
Theoretical classes will be taught, with the support of texts and images.
Interventional student participation will be required.
Software used in class