Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 8645/2020 - 08/09/2020
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 10,0 OT
- Valter Nuno Garcez da Silva Ventura
Questioning the origins of Photography as a technical process of reproduction of reality, in contrast to traditional craft processes.
To make known the inventors of photography, the authors of the time, and the way these inventors and authors thought about the invention of Photography itself.
To make known the first reflections on the invention of photography, and on the way in which this new process of representing reality changed society and the way of seeing the world.
Contribute to the acquisition of structured and grounded knowledge about the consequences of the invention of photography in society in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- The representation of the real: the image as a double of reality.
- The invention and inventors of Photography.
- The Modern Public and Photography.
- Photography and Arts: painting, theater and literature.
- Photography and the inventory of the world.
- Photography and Society.
Constructive participation in class (10%) +
Writing frequency (90%).
Exam: written test (100%).
- Helmut, G. (1982). The Origins of Photography. Nova Iorque: Abbeville Press.
- Rosemblum, N. (1998). A World History of Photography. Nova Iorque: Editions Abbeville
- Serém, M. (2009). A Fotografia em Portugal, Arte Portuguesa, da Pré-história ao Século XX. . lisboa: Fabu Editores
- Trachtenberg, A. (1980). Classic Essays on Photography. Branford, Stony Creek: Leetes Island Books
Theoretical classes will be taught, with the support of texts and images.
Interventional student participation will be required.
Software used in class