Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 8645/2020 - 08/09/2020
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 5,0 OT
- Ana Rita de Sousa Gaspar Vieira
A. Promote an increase in visual culture that allows students to identify, distinguish and understand different creative languages, contributing to a better understanding of contemporary art and the role of photographic production;
B. Stimulate a deeper knowledge of History and evolution;
C. Understand relationships between History and Art Theory, understanding the use of image over time as a vehicle of power, spirituality and memory; considering the way codes accumulate and subsist.
1. The concept of History in our days.
1.1 The anachronistic dimension of History.
1.2. The power of images. Relations with photography.
1.3. Art at the service of temporal and spiritual power: the re-reading of images at different times. Critical views elaborated from the contemporary period.
2. Prehistory: analysis of elements of the legacy that prevails today.
3. Classical antiquity: the codification of reality, Art in the construction of empires and cosmogonies.
4. The Middle Ages: the power of symbols and the relationship with religious power;
- Romanesque art;
- Gothic art.
5. The Renaissance: Christianity and Paganism;
- The Renaissance and the emergence of 'Theories of Art': the inscription of theory;
- The Baroque.
The U.C. results from attendance and constructive participation in classes (which is worth 10% of the final grade) and from the realization of 2 theoretical works of critical analysis of contents taught at the U.C., previously agreed and approved by the teacher. The 1st work is a critical comment (which is worth 20% of the final grade of the U.C.) and the 2nd work is the in-depth theoretical investigation of one of the themes studied, previously agreed with the professor (which is worth 70% of the final grade of the U.C). Students who, in the sum of these 3 items, have an evaluation equal to or greater than 10 will be exempted from the exam.
The evaluation during the exam period implies the presence and participation in at least 1/3 of the classes and is effected by the delivery of the 2 referred works, related to contents taught at the UC, also with the prior agreement of the themes to be developed, on the part of of the teacher.
Attendance at classes will be mandatory. In all assessment periods, students who are not present in at least 1/3 of the classes will be excluded due to absences.
- Hauser, A. (1988). Teorias da Arte. Lisboa: Editorial Presença, LDA
- Gombrich, E. (1993). A História da Arte. Rio de Janeiro: Editora Guanabara Koogan S.A.
- Janson, H. (1992). História da Arte. Lisboa: F. C. Gulbenkian
- Didi-Huberman, G. (2017). Diante do Tempo. Lisboa: Orfeu Negro
Theoretical lectures, based on viewing and critical discussion of images and theoretical content presented.
Software used in class