Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 10764/2011 - 30/08/2011
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP
Basics of mathematics and chemistry.
Students should be aware of the significance of chemical and biological industries to a sustainable development; identify variables and classify different process types; interpret manufacturing diagrams and flowsheets.
This course unit?s purpose is to provide:
(a) an integrated and strategic overview of the chemical/biological process engineering applied to the major industrial sectors and their integration on the modern society;
(b) an introduction to the chemical engineering calculations;
(c) definitions, illustrative measurement techniques and methods of calculating variables that characterize the operation of processes.
After completing this course the students should be able to:
(a) understanding the significance of chemical/biological industries to a sustainable development;
(b) convert units using; identify the number of significant figures; explain the concept of dimensional homogeneity of equations; use linear interpolation; fitting linear and nonlinear data; use scientific calculators and spreadsheets for the representation and analysis of data;
(c) identify variables and classify different types of processes; interpret manufacturing diagrams and their corresponding flow sheets.
1. Introduction to chemical and biological engineering; The main chemical industry sectors and products; Applications of biotechnology; Safety regulations for industry; The relationship between industry and environment.
2. Introduction to chemical and biochemical engineering calculations: Units and dimensions; Conversion of units; systems of units; dimensional homogeneity; Scientific notation; significant figures; Process data representation and analysis.
3. Chemical and biochemical processes: Process variables, mass, volume and density, flow rates; chemical compositions, pressure, temperature; Process, reactors and unit operations classification; Implementatio
n stages of an industrial project; Manufacturing charts and block charts; Industrial applications.
Preparation and presentation of a practical assignment (20%) and a final written test (80%).
Minimum requirement: 10/20 in each assessment component.
- Felder, R. e Rousseau, R. (2005). Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes. US: John Wiley & Sons
- Himmelblau, D. e Riggs, J. (2012). Basic Principles and calculations in Chemical Engineering. US: Prentice Hall
- Lima, N. e Mota, M. (2003). Biotecnologia - Fundamentos e Aplicações. Lisboa: Lidel-Edições Técnicas
- Mateus, D. (0). Apontamentos das aulas teóricas, Enunciados dos exercícios propostos e Tabelas de apoio. Acedido em 12 de setembro de 2018 em www.e-learning.ipt.pt
Lectures and pratical sessions focused on solving practical exercises. Field trips.
Software used in class