Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 10366/2022 - 24/08/2022 (Parceria ESTT/ESAI)
2 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 16,0 TP
- Jorge Morarji dos Remédios Dias Mascarenhas
- Valentim Maria Brunheta Nunes
A-It is intended that students acquire a theoretical foundation, as well as a phenomenological view of chemistry; Be able to describe and interpret chemical phenomena; B-Can solve problems involving chemical concepts; C-Acquire a scientific basis for the understanding and application of chemistry knowledge in Civil Engineering, in particular with regard to the performance and durability of construction materials.
1. Basic Chemistry Tools. Subject classification. The three states of matter. Physical and chemical properties. SI units. Atomic theory and structure. Periodic table. Molecules and ions. Massive relationships. Mole and molecular mass. Chemical reactions and chemical equations. stoichiometry. Reactions in aqueous solutions. Types of reactions: precipitation, acid-base and oxidation-reduction. thermochemistry. The heat involved in chemical reactions.
2. Chemical Bonding and Aggregation States of Matter. Lewis notation. Electronegativity. Ionic bond, covalent bond and metallic bond. Gases and Gas Laws. Liquid properties. Crystals and amorphous solids. Phase Diagrams.
3. Electrochemistry. redox reactions. Galvanic cells. Standard reduction potentials. Spontaneity of reactions. Introduction to corrosion.
4. Chemistry applied to civil construction: Reactions of binders (air lime, hydraulic lime, Portland cement and gypsum); Metals (corrosion and protection systems (zinc plating and chrome plating)); Incompatibility in the application of some materials (damage by direct contact and by leaching); Unique properties of water and its harmful effects on construction.
Conducting a synthesis work on the application of Chemistry in Civil Engineering (TS). Taking a written test on contents 1, 2, and 3 (TE). The final rating will be CF = 0.3xTS + 0.7xTE. For approval, the CF must be equal to or greater than 9.5 values.
Methodology applicable in all evaluation periods.
- Brown, L. (2010). Química geral aplicada à engenharia. . S. Paulo: Cengage Learning
- Chang, R. (2013). Química. Lisboa: McGraw-Hill
- Higgins, R. (2010). Materials for Engineers and Technicians. London: Elsevier,
- Mascarenhas, J. (2021). SISTEMAS DE CONSTRUÇÃO VOL.VIII ESTRUTURAS DE AÇO LAMINADO E CONFORMADO A FRIO; MATERIAIS BÁSICOS (5ª PARTE): O GESSO, A CAL AÉREA, O CIMENTO E O AGLOMERADO NEGRO DE CORTIÇA, . Lisboa: Livros Horizonte
Part 1, 2 and 3 -The defined teaching methodologies (via the application of different methods and techniques) allow the achievement of learning objectives, providing learning oriented towards knowing/thinking, knowing/doing and knowing/being.
Part 4 -Provision of the fundamental concepts of statics and practical methodologies for current civil engineering applications. Analysis and discussion of case studies
Software used in class