Publication in the Diário da República: NI n.º1417|EAB|ESTT|2011
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
Basics of algebra, numerical methods and chemical thermodynamics.
The students should develop basic skills in the separation and purification of biological products: they should be able to describe the possible separation sequences; to identify the main design parameters; master the scale-up principles.
1. Separation processes of biological products: examples of biological products and typical properties of them. 2. Separation of cellular material: filtration, centrifugation; sedimentation; pre-treatment of suspensions. 3. Cell rupture: mecanic procedures; non-mecanic methods. 4. Soluble product separation: extraction processes; precipitation processes; membrane processes (microfiltration and ultrafiltration): electrokinetic processes (electrodialysis and electroforesis). 5. Purification techniques: adsorption and cromatographic processes; cristalization and drying. Industrial applications.
Written test: minimum mark 9/20 and a weight of 70% in the final assessment mark.
Group assignment: minimum mark 9/20 and a weight of 30% in the final assessment mark.
Optional individual assignments worth up to 25% of the mark of the written test
- Aires-Barros, M. e Cabral, J. (2003). Biosseparações in Biotecnologia - Fundamentos e Aplicações, N.Lima e M.Mota eds.. Lisboa: Lidel
- Forciniti, D. (2008). Industrial Bioseparations. : Blakwell
- Ladisch, M. (2001). Bioseparations engineering: principles, practice and economics. : John Wiley & Sons
- Pinho, H. Material de apoio de PSB. Acedido em 0 de --- de 0 em www.e-learning.ipt.pt
Lectures and tutorials, with presentations of contents and class discussion. Practical lessons for exercises solving and industrial cases discussion.
Software used in class