Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
3 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 TP + 3,0 O
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
1. Deepen theoretical and practical knowledge of typography.
1.1 Understand the anatomy and nomenclature and the technical processes of type casting.
2. Understand the history and theory of typography.
2.1 Know the most important Types Designers and Typographers.
3. Know how to choose typefaces. Know the rules of using typography and know how to apply them in practice.
3.1 Identify typefaces according to stylistic classifications.
3.2 Understand and apply the rules of typographic design.
4. Design typefaces.
4.1 Acquire skills in type design through experimentation with manual and digital media.
1.1 Anatomy and nomenclature of types.
1.2 Main type casting processes.
2. Origins and influences in typography.
2.1 Type designers and typographers.
3. Typographic classifications and rules for use of typography.
3.1 Different typographic classifications (shape, thickness, width, spelling and size).
3.2 Typographic composition: column width; spacing (kerning, tracking); types of alignment; leading.
3.3 Legibility, hierarchy.
4. Type Design.
4.1 Manual drawing.
4.2 Vector drawing (Bézier tools).
The final score results from the weighted sum of the practical works 60% (6 works that are worth each 10%),in the final score + the written test that is worth 40% in the final score.
To be admitted to the exam the student must have done at least 4 practical work.
The evaluation under examination includes the same criteria contemplated in continuous evaluation.
- Baines, P. e Haslam, A. (2002). Type and Typography. (Vol. 1). Londres: Laurence King Publishing
- Blackwell, L. (1993). La tipografia del siglo XX. (Vol. 1). Barcelona: Editorial Gustavo Gili
- Bringhurst, R. (1997). The Elements of Typographic Style. (Vol. 1). Vancouver: Hartley & Marks
- Cheng, K. (2006). Designing Type. (Vol. 1). Londres: Laurence King Publishing
- Henestrosa , C. e Meseguer, L. e Scaglione, J. (2017). How to Create Typefaces from sketch to screen. Madrid: Tipo e Editorial
- Lupton, H. (2004). Thinking With Type A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors & Students. (Vol. 1). NewYork : Princeton Architectural Press
- Jong, C. (2017). Type A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (1628-1938). (Vol. 1). Colonia: Taschen
- Megs, P. e McKelvey , R. (2000). Revival of the Fittest: Digital Versions of Classic Typefaces. (pp. 1). New York: RC Publications
Presentation of theoretical content supported by audiovisual media. Development of practical and experimental exercises: manual and digital design. Supervised practical work.
Software used in class
Adobe Illustrator and FontLab