Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 2º Semestre, 75,0 TP + 5,0 OT
- Paula Alexandra Costa Leite Pinto Pereira
- Miguel Alexandre Pereira Sanches
1- Provide in-depth knowledge of printing techniques with special emphasis to the traditional systems such as offset and pad printing.
2- Recognise, classify and master the methods of preparation of various special printing techniques.
1- Classification of the main techniques for special printing;
1.1- Digital workflow;
1.2- Special prints forms and their characterization;
2- Identification and production of prints using special prints;
2.1- Special prints produced with inline offset equipment;
2.2- Study of equipment, media and consumables.
3- Studies of equipment and printing plates for pad printing;
3.1- Study and identification of pad printing machines with closed and open cartridge;
3.2- Identification of pressure contol devices, board door parts and clichés door, scraper blades and ink cartridges;
3.3- Producing forms of pad printing and application of frames;
4- Preparation of consumables for pad printing.
4.1- Differentiation of pad printing clichés;
4.2- Characteristics of buffers and their manufacture (Silicon hardness and shape);
4.3- Identification of different types of inks and conducting resistance and compatibility testing.
- Kipphan, H. (2001). Handbook of Print Media - Technologies and Production Methods. (Vol. 1). Heidelberg: Springer Berlin
- AMBROSE, G. e HARRIS, P. (2006). Basic Design: Print & Finish. Londres: AVA Publishing
- MORLOK, F. e BECKMANN, T. (2009). Extra: Encyclopaedia of Experimental Print Finishing. Basel: Birkhauser Verlag AG: Basel: Birkhauser Verlag AG
- WITHAM, S. (2007). Print and Production Finishes for Promotional Items. Londres: Rotovision
- Ambrose, G. e Harris, P. (2010). The Visual Dictionary of Pre-Press and Production. (Vol. 1). London: AVA Publishing
- Bann, D. (2007). The All New Print Production Handbook. London: Watson-Guptill
- Joyce, M. e Poropat, M. (2018). Designing for Print, the Art and Science, Graphic Design and Print Production Strategies for Success on Press. New York: Books Puddle
- Lundberg, P. e Ryberg, R. e Johansson, K. (2011). A Guide to Graphic Print Production - 3rd Edición. (Vol. 1). London: Wiley
1- Lectures supported by audiovisual resources.
2- Hands-on practical exercises individually or as part of a team.
Software used in class