Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 7822/2020 - 07/08/2020
4 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 28,0 T + 28,0 PL + 14,0 OT
- João Pedro Tomaz Simões
- Provide knowledge and skills to understand the structure of tourism distribution;
- Provide knowledge of the concepts and terminology used by intermediaries in tourism;
- Elaborate and market tour packages;
- Know and master the global distribution system.
- Consult flight availabilities
- Making airline reservations, including special requests and other optional elements
- Making changes to reservations made
- Consult fare notes - changes and cancellations
- Calculate the price of a trip
- Create travel quotes
- Issue electronic documents - tickets and EMD.
1. Tour Packages Programming
1.1 The tour program
1.2 Types of tour program
1.3 The package tour: concept and classifications
1.4 Terminology used to define the package tour
2. The Tourist Trade
2.1. Tour Operators
2.2. Tour Operators Vs Market Operators
2.3 Travel agencies: Attributes, competences and legislation
3. Global Distribution Systems (GSD)
3.1. The context of the GDS
3.2 The Global Distribution Systems
3.3. tourism distribution on the internet
4. Introduction to the Galileo GDS
4.1 Making a reservation
4.2 Schedule lookup: flight frequency and availabilities
4.3 Mandatory fields in the booking
4.4 Optional fields
4.5 Special services and seat reservation
4.6 Selling auxiliary services - shopping cart
4.7. Changes/cancellation of the reservation
4.8. Updating status codes
4.9. Divide Booking File
4.10.1 Query the Notes - restrictions for changes and cancellation
4.10.2 Booking Fares - different types of Fare Quote
4.10.3 Branded Fares
4.10.4. types of passengers
4.10.5. searching for the best fare - shopping
4.10.6. preparing quotes for customers.
4.11. Issuing Documents
4.11.1. familiarization with the fields of the ticket
4.11.2. Issuing electronic tickets;
4.11.3. Cancelling tickets;
5. Preparation and marketing of packages
5.1. The tourist production;
5.2 The design of the tourist circuit;
5.3 The tourist operation.
1. Continuous evaluation:
1.1. practical work #1 (in groups) - equals 40% of the final grade in continuous assessment.
1.2. attendance - 60% of the final mark.
2. Examination Period:
2.1. The written exam grade equals 100% of the grade for students who did not participate in continuous assessment.
- Chan, N. (2011). Circuitos turísticos - Programación y Cotización.. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Turísticas de Mario Banchik
- Abranja, N. e Magalhães, C. (2018). Gestão de Agências de Viagens e Turismo. Lisboa: Lidel
- Archer, J. (2003). Manual of Travel Agency Practice. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann
- Holland, J. e Leslie, D. (2017). Tour Operators and Operations. Wallingford: CABI
The practical classes will provide students with tools and knowledge essential to the specific activity of travel and tourism agencies, as well as training the student in Galileo Software.
Software used in class
Microsoft Teams; Zoom; Mendeley and Galileo