Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 15239/2016 - 19/12/2016
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 PL + 15,0 TP , Cód. 814217.
At the end of the course students should be able to solve problems with some fundamental concepts of Physical Chemistry, on a microscopic perspective, that will be useful in more advanced courses, namely: Quantum Mechanics, atomic structure and atomic and molecular spectra; Chemical Kinetics, rate of chemical reactions, kinetic theory of gases and molecular dynamics; Electrochemistry.
1. Quantum Mechanics: Introduction. Translational, vibrational and rotational movement. Atomic structure and atomic spectra. Rotational and vibrational spectroscopy.
2. Chemical Kinetics: The kinetic theory of gases. The rate of chemical reactions. The Arrhenius equation. Molecular dynamics.
3. Electrochemistry: Electron transfer. Voltammetry. Electrolysis. Galvanic cells. Corrosion.
1. Kinetic study of the reaction of crystal violet with sodium hydroxide by spectrophotometry.
2. Kinetic study of the reaction of ethyl acetate with sodium hydroxide by conductimetry. Determination of kinetic parameters.
3. Thermodynamic study of electrochemical cells.
The theoretical evaluation is made through written tests, with consultation, at the different official evaluation periods (80%), and the practical evaluation (PE) by the practical assignments and respective reports (20%), with a minimum grade of 10 points.
The theoretical evaluation (TE) is obtained by weighting the hours taught in each chapter:
Test 1 - Quantum Mechanics.
Test 2 - Chemical Kinetics.
Test 3 - Electrochemistry.
The final grade (FG) is obtained by applying the following formula:
- Atkins, P. e De Paula, J. e Keeler, J. (2017). Physical Chemistry. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Formosinho, S. (1983). Fundamentos de Cinética Química. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Levine, I. (2008). Physical Chemistry. New York: McGraw-Hill
Lectures where the fundamental principles are described. Theoretical and practical classes where the resolution of application exercises is done and laboratory works dealing with chemical kinetics and electrochemistry is performed.
Software used in class