Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º16228/2009 - 15/07/2009
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 14,0 PL + 28,0 TP + 5,0 OT , Cód. 911911.
- Luis Miguel Lindinho da Cunha Mendes Grilo
It is intended that students achieve in the course unit of Probabilities and Statistics the learning results:
a) recover and consolidate knowledge of Probabilities;
b) acquire knowledge about random variables and some theoretical distributions of probability (discrete and continuous);
c) acquire knowledge and develop mathematical skills in the estimation (punctual and interval) and decision, as well as in the study of the relationship between two variables (correlation and linear regression);
d) use the acquired knowledge and skills developed to design and implement solutions to various problems applied under conditions of uncertainty.
1. Probability (axioms and theorems), 2. discrete and continuous random variables; 3. Some theoretical probability distributions (discrete and continuous); 4. Sampling(mean, variance and sample proportion)
5. Point and interval estimation parameters,
6. Parametric hypothesis tests (mean, variance and population proportion);
7.Correlation and simple linear regression
Continuous assessment: two written tests during the semester (marked from 0 to 20) subject to a minimum mark of 6 marks in both. Assessed subject content is distributed throughout the two. A minimum overall mark of 10/20 of tests exempts students from sitting the exam.
Exam-based Assessment (normal assessment period): written test covering all the material taught in the module (graded from 0 to 20).
Remaining periods: written test covering all the material taught in the module ( marked from 0 to 20).
- Gama, S. e Pedrosa, A. (2004). Introdução Computacional à Probabilidade e Estatística. Porto - Portugal: Porto Editora
- Cabral, J. e Guimarães, R. (2007). Estatística. Lisboa - Portugal: McGraw-Hill
- Grilo, L. (2013). Probabilidades e Estatística. Conceitos Teórico-Práticos. Instituto Politécnico de Tomar, Portugal: Instituto Politécnico de Tomar
The teaching methodology of this curricular unit consists of theoretical-practical classes with oral exposition and examples (assisted with notes), as well as laboratory classes, where several application exercises are solve
Software used in class
Occasionally, Excel and the SPSS statistical package can be used to solve some exercises.