Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 10766/2011 - 30/08/2011
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 42,0 PL + 5,0 OT , Cód. 911234.
- Carlos Alberto Farinha Ferreira
The students should understand the circuits and components used in power electronics; the mode of operation of power converters and be able to design solutions for open and closed loop electro-mechanical drives.
- Introduction: Historical vision and evolution of electromechanical drives. Power electronic´s versus linear electronics. Involved areas: power electronics, control, electrical machinery, mechanical systems.
- Mechanical systems: mechanical systems models: dynamics fundamental law, viscous friction, turbulent friction, static friction, backlash, elasticity. Characterization of some types of load and relevant equations. Transmission and adaptation of movement: gearboxes, belts, chains, brakes, etc. Determination of load mechanical parameters. Service requirements of electromechanical drives.
- Circuits and power electronics components: Triac, transistors and diodes, inductors and capacitors, technologies, characteristics and operating principles. AC-DC converters, DC-AC, DC-DC and AC-AC, operating principles, topologies, design, open-loop and control. EMI, layout and filtering.
- Drives for asynchronous machines: Review of the asynchronous machine. Machine starting methods. Command by variation of the variables: voltage, voltage and frequency, others. Circuits concerned. Systems practical use.
- DC motors drives: review of the dc motor. Position control, speed and torque. Sensors and circuits. Feedback loop. Practical use of systems.
- More than one variable actuator´s control.
Written test: 50%. Practice (laboratory work): 50%.
- Nasar, S. e Boldea, I. e , . (2016). Electric Drives. -: CRC Press
Lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes.
Software used in class