Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9183/2020 - 25/09/2020
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 16,0 PL + 14,0 TP
- Henrique Joaquim de Oliveira Pinho
- Valentim Maria Brunheta Nunes
- Paulo Manuel Machado Coelho
Students should understand the energy-environment relations from the point of view of energy sustainability; be able to analyze the main production systems, energy storage and conversion; develop the ability to make technical assessments of energy systems.
1. Energy in modern societies and environmental impact. Global energy statistics and situation in Portugal; 2. Thermodynamic principles of energy conversion. Thermal cycles; 3. Nuclear energy; 4. Storage and transmission of energy; 5. Renewable energy. Wind energy. Hydropower. Solar thermal and photovoltaic systems; 6. Bioenergy. Fuel production from biomass.
3 short tests throughout the semester.
Final grade is calculated as weighted average: first test-50% and the other two 25%.
Final written exam - 100%
- Sorensen, B. (2000). Renewable Energy. San Diego: Academic Press
- Fay, J. e Golomb, D. (2004). Energy and the Environment. Oxford: Oxford University Press and Open University
Lectures. Tutorials including problem-solving. Field trips. Lab experiments in bioenergy.
Software used in class