Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 7701/2016 09/06/2016
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 27,0 TP + 27,0 TC
- Alexandra Águeda de Figueiredo
Understand and learn the archaeological field methods. The module aims to provide students with the practical learning of the techniques of archaeological intervention, intrusive and non-intrusive, as well as the work/methods and techniques of analysis, interpretation and record.
Planning and organisation
2.Assembling grid reference points. Mapping, surveying and spatial registration.
3.Open-area excavation / borehole opening
4.Data survey, Harris matrices, plans and profiles, manual and technical photographic recording techniques
5.Data treatment, study and interpretation of remains
6. Archaeographic interpretation
Assessment is based on a final report (50%) and performance on site (50%). The students elligible to sit the examination have to complete a written test (50%) and a practical test (50%).
- Barker, P. (1982). Techniques of archaeological excavation. Londres, : Batsford
- Renfrew, C. e Bahn, P. (1991). Arqueology: Theories, Methods and Practice. Londres: Thames and Hudson
- Harris, E. (1993). Princípios de Estratigrafía Arqueológica. Barcelona: Crítica, Colección Crítica Arqueologia,
Theoretical classes including case study analysis. The practical component is delivered on site.
Software used in class