Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 6419/2017, de 24-07-2017
7 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 20,0 T + 20,0 TP
- Eduardo Fontão MontAlverne Brou
Elements of Management and Economics
The purpose of this course is to deepen the study of Business Strategy initiated in the 1st cycle, cultivating in the students the critical analysis of concepts, models and tools of Strategic Management and their capacity for applied synthesis on topics of this comprehensive discipline
1st UNIT: STRATEGY
I STRATEGY: CONCEPT AND PROCESS
1. Presentation of definitions.
2. Strategic Decision, Choices and Process.
3. Strategic Intention.
4. Seminal Works in Strategic Management.
II STRATEGY ANALYSIS AND FORMULATION
1. SWOT Analysis K. Andrews
2. Competitive Analysis; The Positioning School (5 Forces Model Porter).
3. Generic Strategies
4. A Framework for Competitor Analysis; the need for a Competitor Intelligence System
5. Strategic Groups Porter
6. Value Chain Porter
7. Resource Based Strategy (the Resource-based view of the Firm).
8. Core Competences - Hamel & Prahalad.
III STRATEGY FORMATION
1. Formal Strategic Plan
2. Interaction between Formulation and Execution.
3. Crafting Strategy - Mintzberg.
4. The Honda Effect - Pascale.
5. Variation Selection Retention.
2nd UNIT: THE ORGANIZATIONS (A Review)
I THEORY OF ORGANIZATIONS
1. Why study Organizations?
2. Organizations Theory.
3. Defining the concept organization.
4. Why do Organizations Exist? .
5. The Total Organization.
II - THE STRUCTURE OF ORGANIZATIONS
1. Concept revision.
2. Six basic parts of the Organization - Mintzberg.
3. Basic Characteristics and coordination mechanisms.
4. Configurations of the Organization - Mintzberg.
5. Main variables in an Organizations structure.
6. Basic characteristics of an Organizations structure.
7. Structure vs. dimension/age.
8. Structure and Technology
9. Srutcture and Environment
10. Structure; trends.
III - CHANGING ORGANIZATIONS
IV - ORGANIZATIONAL DESIGN
3rd UNIT: STRATEGY AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXTS
I STRATEGY AND THE ENTREPRENEURIAL CONTEXT (START-UP)
1. The Entrepreneurial Organization.
2. Strategy in entrepreneurial context.
II STRATEGY AND MATURE CONTEXT
1. The Mechanistic Bureaucracy.
2. The strategic planning.
3. Conditions for strategic programming
III STRATEGY AND DIVERSIFIED CONTEXT
1. The Diversified Organization.
2. The Divisional Structure.
3. Role of the Headquarters.
4. Types of Diversification
IV - STRATEGY AND INNOVATIVE CONTEXT
1. The innovative organization; basic structure.
2. The innovative organization conditions.
3. Strategy formation in an innovative context; functions of the strategic apex.
Critical analysis of an Article (Team Work): 40%
Written Test: 60%
Non continuous assessment
Individual written test (100%).
- Lampel, J. e Mintzberg, H. e Quinn, J. e Ghoshal, S. (2014). The Strategy Process: Concepts, Contexts, Cases. London: UK: Pearson Education
- Shafritz, J. e Ott, J. e Jang, Y. (2011). Classics of Organization Theory. USA: Wadsworth
- Mintzberg, H. (2004). Ascensão e Queda do Planeamento Estratégico. Porto Alegre: Bookman
Lectures supported by audiovisual resources and resolution of practical cases. Critical literature review.
Software used in class