Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9982/2016 - 05/08/2016
5.5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP + 3,0 OT
- António João de Carvalho da Cruz
a) Be familiar with scientific and technical literature
b) Be able to perform literature searches
c) Be able to organise articles, reports and dissertations
d) Be able to use appropriate written language
e)Be able to use the software available for the preparation of these documents
1. Research in Conservation and Restoration
2. Bibliographic research:
a) what to look for: the scientific or technical literature in the different areas of knowledge; the scientific paper; the review; the Conservation and Restoration literature and its specificity;
b) how to look for: traditional research and research in digital environment; digital search tools;
c) how to obtain the publications in digital format: publications with paid access; access to journals with digital edition only; publishers with conservation and restoration works available free of charge; works digitized within the scope of digitization programs;
d) what information to keep about bibliographic references: identification of bibliographic references; identification elements of digital references.
3. Writing of scientific and technical documents, especially articles, traineeship reports and dissertations:
a) general structure: types of documents; proposal and intervention report; scientific paper; review; dissertation or thesis; internship report;
b) elements of a document: pre-textual elements; textual part; post-textual elements;
c) style: the different academic styles; general principles; clarity; rigour; other aspects;
c) bibliographical references: the importance of bibliographical references; the diversity of formats; main systems for presentation of references; examples of formats for presentation of bibliographic references.
d) tables and figures: use of tables and figures; structure of tables; figures with information obtained in the form of image, with information obtained in numerical form (graphics) and with information of a structural or relational nature (schemas).
4. Preparation of documents, especially reports of internships and dissertations, in digital format:
a) digital formats for the presentation and dissemination of documents: doc, docx and pdf formats and their advantages and limitations; conversion to pdf file; joining of pdfs files;
b) images in digital format: image formats; scanning of images; graphic plotting; assembly of graphic elements; optimizing the size of graphic files;
c) use of word processor: formatting; models and styles; automatic number sequences; bookmarks; cross-references; index; language tools; track changes and comments.
Theoretical-practical lessons are mandatory. Assessment includes a TP component (questions with written answers in TP classes and literature search)(50 %) and a review article (with a minimum of 9/20), on a subject of choice, to be submitted as part of continuous assessment or exam assessment (50 %).
- Azevedo, M. (2011). Teses, Relatórios e Trabalhos Escolares. Sugestões para a Estruturação da Escrita. Lisboa: Universidade Católica Editora
- Poupa, C. e Pereira, A. (2018). Como Escrever uma Tese, Monografia ou Livro Científico Usando o Word. Lisboa: Sílabo
- Turabian, K. (2018). A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press
- Estrela, E. e Soares, M. e Leitão, M. (2015). Saber Escrever uma Tese e Outros Textos . Lisboa: Dom Quixote
The lectures are of an expository nature using Powerpoint presentations that are previously distributed to students. In theoretical-practical lessons some common problems are discussed and exercises are performed by the students.
Software used in class