Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 3359/2013 - 01/03/2013
5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 15,0 T + 60,0 PL + 5,0 OT
1 Identify the concepts of preservation / conservation of books and graphic documents.
2 Evaluate the strength and durability of the materials constituting the graphic documents. Identify the productive processes. Develop observation / analysis capacity for intervention.
3 Solve concrete problems of safeguarding, conditions of use and storage of graphic documents. Apply appropriate technical language for future interventions.
4 Identify the techniques of artistic and modern binding. Perform different binding techniques applying the aesthetic, creative components and preservation / conservation features.
1¬ Identification of materials (print media and inks);
2 Identification of degradation agents (environment, quality of materials, claims, human action);
3 Preservation and taking preventive measures (disinfection, desacidificação, consolidation, lamination, reintegration, packaging);
4 Implementation of binding (materials, machinery, tools, techniques, types, styles and decoration);
5 Execution of artistic bookbinding (defining styles of ancient and modern bindings)
Attendance 5%, coursework done in class 65%, written test 30%.Exam assessment includes a written test covering theoretical content (30% of the final grade).Attendance: 5%, in-class coursework: 65%
- BOSQUET, E. (1989). Traité théorique et pratique de lárt du relieur. NA: Paris
- JOHNSON, A. (1985). The practical guide to craft bookbinding. London: Thames and Hudson
- VITORINO, T. e MELO, M. e CARLYLE, L. e OTERO, V. (2016). New insights into brazilwood lake pigments manufacture through the use of historically accurate reconstructions. London: Taylor & Francis Online
- LIENARDY, A. e DAMME, P. (1992). La désacidification de masse des livres et documents. Bruxelles: Institut royal du patrimoine artistique
- LIBRANDO, V. e MINNITI, Z. e LORUSSO, S. (2011). Ancient and modern paper characterization by FTIR and Micro-Raman spectroscopy.Conservation science in cultural heritage, 11,
1- Lectures with the support of audiovisual resources.
2- Practical work individually or as part of a team performing tasks and solving practical problems.
Software used in class