Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 3359/2013 - 01/03/2013
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 60,0 TP + 4,0 OT
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
- Vitor Dinis Carita de Jesus
1 Master basic visual syntax
2 Acquire a comprehensive graphical visual literacy
3 Select, sort and manipulate typographic elements of a graphic project
4 Blend image and text
5 Design symbols
6 Develop institutional identity projects
1 Introduction to graphic design: syntax and visual literacy
3 Shape, line, contour and filling, shape and background, texture, color
4 Choosing the right typeface
5 Characters, words, sentences, text
6 Text and Image
7 Iconic symbols
8 Institutional Identity
Continuous assessment based on the eight practical exercises requested throughout the semester. The delivery dates are duly explained in class and the exercises can only be delivered within those dates, unless there is a justification otherwise.The final mark is the weighting of the practical exercises: the first two have the weight of one (each), exercises three, four and five have the weight of two (each) in the final mark; and exercises six, seven and eight have the weight of four (each) in the final mark. A minimum mark of 10 exempts students from sitting the exam.
Students who have attended more than 2/3 of the classes and have completed at least five of the exercises proposed dring the semester are eligible to sit the exam. The final mark is the weighting of the assessment of practical work. The exam and the resit are each worth 100% of the final mark.
The exam can be done remotely using the moodle and Teams platforms.
- Wilde, R. e Wilde, J. (2000). Visual Literacy: A Conceptual Approach to Graphic Problem Solving. USA: Watson-Guptill Publications Inc
- Philips, J. e Lupton, E. (2008). Graphic Design: The New Basics. USA: Princeton Architectural Press
- Wong, W. (2004). Diseño Grafico Digital. Espanha: Editorial Gustavo Gili
- Willberg, H. (2003). Primeros Auxilios en Tipografia. Espanha: Editorial Gustavo Gili
Classes taught by videoconference in moodle and Teams.
1 Theoretical introduction to practical exercises
2 Pratical exercises
3 Project monitoring
4 Result analysis
Software used in class
Adobe Illustrator; Adobe InDesign; Adobe Photoshop