Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 10852/2016 - 05/09/2016
4 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT , Cód. 938052.
- Maria Teresa Ribeiro Pereira Desterro (1)(2)
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
Understand the evolution of the western art paradigm throughout the Middle Ages and the Modern Era in relation with the socio-cultural changes. Characterize the artistic movements of this period. Students must demonstrate to interpret artworks as aesthetic, historical and artistic objects.
I ? The artistic evolution in Middle Ages
2.1-From the pejorative idea of "Opus Gothicum" to the rehabilitation of the concept.
2.2-Gothic art historical and cultural background.
2.3-Architecture.The Gothic as a system:technical innovations.
2.4-Sculpture, relief and tombs
2.5-Painting:illumination, fresco's painting,altarpiece painting and stained glass.
II ? The artistic development in the Modern Era
1-Origins of the Renaissance Plastic Space
1.1-The importance of perspective in painting and sculpture.
1.2-Architecture and the importance of Treatises.
2-The Italian Renaissance
3-The Flemish "Ars Nova"
4-European Renaissance experience irradiation
5- The Mannerism
5.1-The new aesthetic and artistic concept.
5.2- Compositional inovations in painting, architecture and sculpture.
5.2.1- "Prima-Maniera" and "Naturans Ars"
5.2.2.-The Antwerp Mannerism
5.2.3- Diffusion of Mannerism in Europe
6-Artistic evolution from Barroc to Classicism
6.1- Barroc Art
7.1-Enlightening and his influence in art.
Continuous assessment:two tests (miminum mark of 7.5/20 in one of the tests). Mimimum pass mark is 10/20.
Final examination for the students failing in the continuous assessment.
- Gheer Brant, A. e Chevalier, J. (1982). Dictionnaire des Symboles. Mythes, Rêves, Coutumes, Gestes, Formes, Figures, Couleurs, Nombres. Paris: Robert Laffont & Jupiter
- Janson, H. (2010). A Nova História da Arte de Janson. A tradição ocidental. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
- Réau, L. (1996). Iconografia del Arte Cristiano. (Vol. 5vols). Barcelona: Ediciones del Serbal
- Turner, J. (1998). The Dictionary of Art. London: Jane Turner
Theoretical classes supported by examination and analysis of artworks.
Theoretical-practical lessons focused on discussing and reflecting on the course topics.
Software used in class