Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho n.º 10852/2016 - 05/09/2016
4.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP + 2,0 OT , Cód. 938020.
- Manuel Alberto Nogueira Henriques Rosa (1)(2)
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
Students should be able to
-classify organic compounds used in conservation and restoration,
-relate properties and structure,
- evaluate risks involved with solvents and evaluate their interaction with materials,
- identify the properties of the different CR materials.
8-Oxidation-reduction: Oxidation-reduction state; Oxidation-reduction concepts; writing and balancing of redox semi-reactions; writing of a complete redox reaction; Oxidant and reducer; Oxidation and reduction in organic compounds; Reduction potential; Galvanic or voltaic cells; Electrolytic cells; Corrosion of metals; Chemical cleaning by redox mechanisms; Final considerations.
9-Organic Chemistry: Saturated hydrocarbons; Alkanes; Cycloalkanes; Nomenclature of saturated hydrocarbons; Nomenclature of cycloalkanes; Functional groups; alcohols and ethers; Aldehydes and ketones; Carboxylic acids; Esters; Amines; Amides; Polymers;
10-Polymers and macromolecules: Generalities and definitions; Factors affecting the properties of a polymer; Mechanisms of degradation of polymers:
11-Cleaning in Conservation and Restoration: Physical cleaning techniques; Solvent cleaning techniques; Cleaning with water; Cleaning with organic solvents.
Practical work # 1 - The laboratory work intends to verify the existence of oxidation-reduction reactions through galvanic cells of various combinations of solid metal electrodes and electrolyte solutions, proving the feasibility of electrodeposition as a conservation and restoration technique for metals .
There are five evaluation moments, four in the theoretical component and one in the practical component. Each evaluation moment is valued at 4 values for a total of 20 values.
The sum of the results obtained in the five moments of evaluation is equal to the final evaluation.
All students will have to have evaluation in the practical component without which they will be excluded from the exam season.
- Horie, C. (1987). Materials for Conservation. London: Butterworth
- Masschelein-Kleiner, L. (1981). Les Solvants. Bruxelles: IRPA
- Masschelein-Kleiner, L. (1995). Ancient Binding Media. Roma: ICCROM
- Wilks, (ed), H. (1984). Adhesives and Coatings. Science for Conservation Series. Book 3. London: The Conservation Unit. Museums & Galleries Commission.
Lectures and tutorials supported by case studies.
Software used in class