Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 9786/2014 de 29/07/2014
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP , Cód. 364125.
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
The course aims to provide tourism concepts connected with natural heritage and skills that will enable the students to use their technical and scientific expertise to promote tourism-related activities such as ecotourism and other nature activities while respecting the environment.
1. Natural Heritage and Protected areas
1.1- National and international regions of interest
1.2- Private areas
1.3- National, European and International legislation
1.4- Geographical identification of protected areas in Portugal
1.5- Portuguese Biogeography
1.6- Management and conservation in Protected areas
1.7- Conservation outside protected areas
2. Ecotourism ? definitions, application and problematics
2.1- Ecotourism and the relationship with other typologies of tourism
2.2- Case studies analysis
2.3- Tourist activities associated to natural heritage
2.3.1- Nature based tourism typologies
2.3.2- Adventure tourism - land, water and air - Pedestrianism. Birdwatching. Equestrian Tourism. Geotourism.
3. Tools to analyse Nature based Tourism
3.1- Geographic Information Systems
3.2- Databases and inventory
3.3- Questionnaires and statistical interpretation
4. Thermal Tourism and health Tourism
4.1- Concepts, seasonality. Supply and demand in Tourism
4.2- Thermal tourism in Portugal
4.3- Hydrotherapy and thalassotherapy
5. Socially responsible behavior in Tourism
5.1- Legal requirements to start a nature based tourism
5.2- Ecological footprint. Carbon footprint, examples and calculation. Green business.
written exam (F); reports (RV); attendance (A). Final score =0,6*F + 0,3*RV + 0,1*A. Students which obtain less than 10 points from 20, will have to sit an exam.
- Barkin, D. (2006). Ecotourism: A Tool for Sustainable Development in an Era of International Integration. U.K.: Yale F&ES Bulletin
- Fennell, D. (2008). Ecotourism. U.K.: Taylor & Francis Group
- Tisdell,C. & Wilson, C. (2012). Nature-based Tourism and Conservation: New Economic Insights and Case Studies. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
- Wearing, S. & Neil, J. (2009). Ecotourism: Impacts, potentials and possibilities?. London: Butterworth-Heinemann
Lectures, theoretical-practical classes and field trips.
Software used in class
Quantum Gis and SPSS.