Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 10072/2012 - 25/07/2012
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 45,0 TP + 5,0 OT
- Milene Carla Russo Trindade
- Alexandre José de Magalhães Figueiredo
The students should understand the black-and-white photographic emulsions, gain critical sense in order to improve their performance and be able to describe processes and materials in a rigorous manner.
Experience with industrial liquid emulsion.
Experimentation with film sensitive to infrared.
Preparation and test with direct darkning emulsion.
Preparation and test with washed emulsion for revelation.
Practice to print on fabric or other support, with the emulsion (prepared at school or commercial).
Practice to produce a negative on glass, with the washed emulsion (or other).
Latest practical classes - Final project
Continuous assessment: two tests, a theoretical presentation and laboratory reports, plus a final project. A minimum mark of 9,5/20 in all components is required to pass.
- White, L. (1995). Infrared Photography Handbook. New York: Amherst Media Inc.
- Wall, E. (1929). Photographic Emultions, their preparation and coating on glass, celluloid and paper, experimentally and on large scale. Boston: American Photographic Publishing Co.
- Zakia, R. e Current, I. e Compton, J. e Stroebel, L. (2000). Photographic Materials and Processes. London: Focal Press
- Jones, S. e Reed, M. (2001). Silver Gelatin, a User's Guide to Liquid Photographic Emultion. London: Argentum, Aurum Press Limited
Lectures exploring the theoretical contents and laboratory classes (practice and experimentation).
Software used in class
Software dedicated to pre-printing processes, to help with the making of digital negatives.