Publication in the Diário da República: Despacho nº 10764/2011 - 30/08/2011
5.5 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP , Cód. 918430.
(1) Docente Responsável
(2) Docente que lecciona
Fundamentals of Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
Students should be able to understand and meet the demands of the heavy industry regarding essential industrial utilities: electric power, thermal energy,pneumatics and refrigeration.
1. The electric power (AC)
1.1 Types of generating electric power plants
1.2 Stations of transformation and its main elements
1.3 Electric motors - types and working principle
1.4 power factor and its compensation
1.5 PLC - general considerations
2. Thermal Energy
2.1 Steam generators
2.1.2. Classification of generators
2.2 Combustion and thermal efficiency
2.2.1. Basic concepts
2.2.2. Combustion stoichiometry
2.2.3. Gross calorific value and lower
2.2.4. Mass balance
2.2.5. Energy balances
2.4 Treatment of water boiler
2.4.1. Characterization of Water
2.4.2. Phenomena resulting from the evaporation of water
2.4.3. Methods of treatment
3. Energy Pneumatic
3.1 Definition, production and characteristics
3.2 Types of compressors and selection criteria
3.4 elementary calculation of a compressed air network
4. Refrigeration and Cooling Systems
4.1 Cooling towers - sizing
4.3 Soft Drinks
5.2 Air Quality Modulation confined indoors
5.3 dilution by Control
Written examination (first attempt or re-sit) with a minimum
pass mark of 9.5/20.
- Ganapathy, V. (2003). Industrial Boilers and Heat Recovery Steam Generators - Design, Applications and Calculations. New-York and Basel: Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Juanico, F. (1992). Geradores de Calor. Lisboa: Ecemei
- McQuiston, F. e Parker, J. e Spitler, J. (2005). Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning - Analysis and Design. USA: John Wiley and Sons
- Novais, J. (2008). Ar comprimido industrial. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian
Lectures are designed to introduce the study topics and present theoretical fundamentals. Theoretical-practical sessions are intended to develop the theoretical concepts with the support of real-world cases and exercise-solving.
Software used in class