Publication in the Diário da República: RCC 21/12/2010 [DR. 4926/2011 21.03.2011]
6 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 75,0 TP
- José Manuel Borges Henriques Faria Paixão
Basics of differential calculus and algebraic calculus.
On completion of this course unit the students should be able to analyse, interpret and formulate Integral Calculus and Linear Algebra problems and have obtained the mathematical skills that will allow them to extrapolate mathematical problems to economic and social realities.
1. Integral calculus (definition, calculus and applications) 2.Matrices (definition, types of matrices, calculations, transposed matrix, Gaussian elimination and systems resolution); 3. Determinants (definition, properties, Laplace Theorem, the adjoint and inverse matrices, Cramer's rule and systems resolution).
The same methodology is used both for ongoing and exam assessment: 1 summative closed-book test marked 0-20.
- Piskounov, N. (2000). Cálculo Diferencial e Integral . (Vol. 1, 2). USA: Editora Lopes da Silva
- Ferreira, M. e Amaral, I. (2008). Álgebra Linear: Matrizes e Determinantes. (Vol. 1). Portugal: Edições Sílabo
- Strang, G. (2009). Linear Algebra and its Applications. USA: Wellesley Cambridge Press
- Ferreira, M. e Amaral, I. (2006). Primitivas e Integrais. Portugal: Edições Sílabo
Lectures and tutorials focused on problem-solving.
Software used in class