5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 45,0 TP + 15,0 OT
- Maria de Lurdes Belgas da Costa Reis
The students should be able to
- identify the different types of building materials with regard to manufacturing process, properties and applications
- identify the standards and documents concerning the application of materials as well as quality control procedures
- select materials
1 Introduction to building materials;
2 Natural stones;
3 Earth as building material;
4 Mineral binders;
7 Wood and wood based materials;
8 Steel and non-ferrous metals;
9 Polymeric materials (paints, varnishes, plastics and bituminous materials);
10 Composite materials.
Written test (65%) and a research assignment (35%).
Written test includes theoretical and practical components and minimum pass mark is 9.5/20.
The research assignment is based on a selected topic.
- Mascarenhas, J. (2003). Sistemas de Construção Paredes (2ª parte) e materiais básicos (1ª parte). (Vol. III). Lisboa: Livros Horizonte
- LNEC, L. (2002). Materiais plásticos para a construção civil - Características e tipos de aplicação. (Vol. ITMC 29). Lisboa: LNEC
- Carvalho, A. (1996). Madeiras Portuguesas. (Vol. I, II). Lisboa: Instituto Florestal
- APICER, A. (2009). Manual de Alvenaria de Tijolo. (Vol. -). Coimbra: APICER
Lectures making use of illustrative examples. Problem solving.
Field trips and technical sessions.
Software used in class