5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 PL + 10,0 OT + 4,0 O
- Cristina Margarida Rodrigues Costa
Basic knowledge of physics, mathematics and linear algebra.
Developing skills for solving problems of statics of particles and rigid bodies at rest under the current civil engineering applications.
Introduction to vectorial mechanics. Applied Statics: loading systems; support conditions; structural systems. Concept and properties of hinges, pistons and slides. Equilibrium of isostatic structures: support reactions, free-body diagrams and internal forces. Plane trusses: stability and determinacy, methods to determine axial forces. Cables.
One final written exam during regular assessment period, and practical exercises proposed on class.
- Fonseca, A. (1976). Curso de Mecânica. (Vol. II). Rio de Janeiro: Livros Técnicos e Científicos
- Campanari, F. (1985). Teoria das Estruturas. (Vol. I e II). Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Dois
- Gorfin, B. e Oliveira, M. (1975). Estruturas Isostáticas. Rio de Janeiro: Livros Técnicos e Científicos
- Beer, F. e Johnston, R. (2006). Mecânica Vetorial para Engenheiros: Estática. Rio de Janeiro: McGraw Hill
Presentation of the fundamental concepts of statics and practical methodologies for current applications of civil engineering. Analysis and discussion of case studies to promote critical participation and the consolidation of learned skills.
Software used in class