Design and Graphic Arts
4.5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 T + 3,0 O
- Maria João Bom Mendes dos Santos
Basics of graphic design history and theory.
This course aims at:
1. sensitizing students to the role of Design and designers in our society;
2. developing critical and interventive skills in the design area, particularly in graphic communication.
1. Futurism, Dadaism and Surrealism;
2. Russian Suprematism and Constructivism;
3. De Stijl;
4. The Bauhaus;
5. Jan Tschichold and the New Typography;
6. Eric Gill and the Gill Sans;
7. International Typographic Style;
8. The pioneers of digital design
Assessment includes theoretical coursework carried out in class (50% of the final grade) and a final written test (50% of the final grade).
- JULIER, G. (1997). The thames & Hudson dictionary of 20th century design and designers. London: Thames & Hudson
- HELLER & CHWAST, S. (1988). From Victorian to post-modern. London: Thames and Hudson
- FRASCAR, J. (2004). Communication Design, Principles, Methods and Practice. New York.: Allworth Press
- BLACKWELL, . (1993). La tipografia del siglo XX. Madrid: Editorial Gustavo Gili
Method of interaction
1. Lectures supported by audiovisual resources.
Software used in class