Master's degree in Prehistoric Archaeology and Rock Art, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 17071/2009 - 23/07/2009
3 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 7,0 TP + 12,0 TC + 8,0 S
- Silvério Manuel Domingues Figueiredo
Introduce students to the basic elements of Tatonomy and Paleoecology, allowing an integrated analysis of fossiliferous and stratigraphic records as a tool for:
(i) interpretation of the processes responsible for incorporating organic remains into the sedimentary register;
ii verification of taphonomic and stratigraphic controls on the genesis of faunistic accumulations in paleontological and archaeological context.
General aspects of the fossil and archaeological record; Principles and methods of Tatonomy; Biostratinomic processes; Fossildiagenetic processes; Tafofácies (tafotonomic facies); Tafonomic tendencies; Temporal and spatial resolutions of fossiliferous accumulations; Icnofossils, icnocenoses; stratigraphic control over the occurrence, distribution, diversity and preservation of different fossil groups; Conservation Paleobiology.
Assessment includes a final work/report. Minimum pass mark: 10 out of 20
A mark of 10/20 exempts students from taking the exam.
- Babin, C. (1991). Principes de Paléontologie. (Vol. 1). Paris: Armand Colin Éditeur
- Carvalho, I. (2004). Paleontologia. (Vol. 1). Rio de Janeiro: Editora Interciência
- Melendez, B. (1982). Paleontologia. (Vol. 1). Madrid: Paraninfo
- Konservat-Lagerstätten: cause and classification. .(1988, 0 de ---). Paleobiology , pp. 331-344.
Method of interaction
Software used in class