Computer Architecture and Operating Systems
Electronics and Computer Engineering, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 10766/2011 - 30/08/2011
6 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 42,0 PL + 5,0 OT
- Gabriel Pereira Pires
On completion of the module, the students should be able to program 8 bit PIC microcontrollers of the 18F family, accomplishing projects that involve: digital and analog reading, digital and PWM actuation, and rigid temporal constraints.
1) Introduction to embedded systems;
2) Data representations and computer arithmetic
3) Introduction to the PIC microcontroller and development environments
4) Programming/configuration PIC 18F family: (a) Digital input/output; (b) Timers and internal interrupt; (c) External interrupts; (d) LCD connection; (e) COMPARE, CAPTURE, PWM; (f) Counters;
Written exam (60%), Lab work (40%)
Minimum pass requirements: A minimum of 40% in the written test and a minimum of 50% in the laboratory work. The minimum pass mark is 10 out of 20.
- Peatman, J. (1997). Design with PIC microcontrollers. -: Prentice Hall
- Reese, R. (2005). Microprocessors: From Assembly To C with the PIC18FXX2. -: Charles River Media
Method of interaction
Lectures, practical exercises and lab assignments/projects
Software used in class