Design and Graphic Arts, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
7 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 105,0 TP + 4,0 OT + 3,0 O
1. Understand and control the prepress steps in the graphic production workflow;
2. Utilize specific page layout software;
3. Acquire skills in separation and color management for different printing processes;
4. Acquire skills in analog and digital imposition.
I. COMPONENT PAGE LAYOUT
1. Program presentation and introduction to the interface;
1.1 The work environment. Document definition;
1.2 Introduction to the operating program toolbox;
1.3 Master page concept. Page definition;
1.4 Composition and editing of simple and complex texts.
2. Page layout;
2.1 Import and manipulation of text and images;
2.2 Grid: organization of the text in columns; tabs, collapsing and opening paragraphs; information hierarchy;
2.3 Text treatment: character and paragraph attributes, «widow» and «orphaned» lines, hyphenation and justification control,
2.4 Construction and editing of tables;
2.5. Paragraph, character, and table styles and formatting. Text editing, definition of parameters applicable to types and paragraphs;
2.6 Color Editing, Color Palette and Gradients; Creation and editing of process and special colors;
2.7 Creating and editing indexes;
2.8. Management of extensive documents.
3. Document Finalization;
3.1 Color separation simulation;
3.2 Creating and editing PDF files;
3.3 Preflight and Package.
II. COMPONENT - COLOR SEPARATION
1. Originals and their reproduction;
1.1 Classification and identification of different types of originals, their analysis and control;
1.2 Light sources;
1.3 The photographic process of obtaining film originals.
2. Screen ruling theory and its applications;
2.1 Screen ruling, dot geometry, screen angle; AM, FM and XM rulings.
2.2 Introduction to densitometry and densitometric magnitudes;
2.3 Control elements & measuring instruments.
3. Color Management;
3.1 Application of quality control at all stages of transformation from control elements, reference and tolerance parameters, using measuring instruments.
III. COMPONENT - IMPOSITION
1. Identification and nomenclature of equipment, instruments, consumable materials and essential tools for the execution/preparation of layouts and assemblies in millimeter or square bases.
2.1 The preliminary stages for the preparation of the photoliths to be assembled;
2.2 Standard Formats, DIN (series A, B, C, D and graphic formats);
2.3 Layout of the base page; determination of the rectangle/spot of the text and distribution of the perimeter margins;
2.4 The layout Assembly requirements conditioned by the printing process;
2.5 Assembly Regulatory elements to carry out the assembly;
2.6 Regular and irregular layouts.
3. Control elements in the assembly;
3.1 Crop marks, registration marks, perforation marks, crease marks, signature marks (book work);
3.2 Machine entry indication, gripper margin, color identification (CMYK, Pantones, etc.), strips for visual and densitometric control; file handling.
4. Digital imposition and digital workflow software;
4.1 File Compatibility; PDF, JDF, PPF;
4.2. Imposition/digital assembly.
4.3 Position Proofs: obtaining digital proofs, reviewing and comparing/retesting with layouts and with the originals.
PAGE LAYOUT- 50% assessed practical work >=10; 45% written test >=10; 5% for attendance.
COLOUR SEPARATION - 50% assessed practical work >=10; 45% written test >=10; 5% for attendance.
IMPOSITION - 50% theoretical-practical work with evaluation >=10; 45% written test >=10; 5% for attendance.
The students eligible to sit the exam will have to complete a summative test.
The exam-based assessment covers is as follows:
PAGINATION - 50% assessed practical work >=10; 50% written test >=10.
COLOUR SEPARATION - 50% assessed practical work >=10; 50% written test >=10.
IMPOSITION - 50% assessed practical work >=10; 50% written test >=10.
Final classification is calculated as follows:
40% PAGINATION; 30% COLOUR SEPARATION; 30% IMPOSITION.
- BAER, L. (2004). Produção Gráfica. S. Paulo: SENAC
- JOHANSSON, K. e LUNDBERG, P. e RYBERG, R. (2004). Manual de Producción Grafica: Recetas. Barcelona: GG
- ANTON, K. e DEJARLD, T. (2020). Adobe InDesign Classroom in a Book (2021 release). San Francisco: Pearson Education, Adobe Press
- KIPPHAN, H. (2001). Handbook of Print Media? Technologies and Production Methods. Berlin: Springer-Verlag
- AMBROSE, G. e HARRIS, P. (2008). The Production Manual, A Graphic Design Handbook. Lausanne: AVA Publishing
- FORMENTI, J. e REVERTE, S. (2008). La Imagen Gráfica y su Reproducción. Barcelona: Ediciones CPG
- SEDDON, T. (2007). Images: A Creative Digital Workflow for Graphic Design. London: RotoVision
- BARBOSA, C. (2012). Manual Prático de Produção Gráfica. Lisboa: Principia
Method of interaction
1 - Lessons supported by audiovisual media and analogue and digital technologies;
2 - Practical exercises.
Software used in class
Adobe InDesign (Page Layout)
Trueflow SE - SCREEN (Imposition)
XMF Workflow - FujiFilm (Imposition)