Design and Graphic Arts, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 9182/2020 - 25/09/2020
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 TP + 4,0 OT
1) Introduction to Photoshop and gradual progression in elementary post-production tools;
2) Choosing, editing and manipulating jpeg and tiff files;
3 and 4) Layers, masks, curves, color grading, selection tools, text, stamp/patch/healing tools.
1. Image formats
2. Basic image corrections
a) Resizing and cropping the image.
3. Image editing, treatment and correction
a) Image adjustment in levels and curves, brightness and contrast.
b) Other image adjustment tools.
c) The image adjustment layers.
d) Application of blur and sharpen filters.
e) Sponge | dodge | burn as aids in image correction.
4. Selection tools
a) The feather, smooth, expand, contract options.
b) Color modes: grayscale and duonote.
c) The option transform: scale, distort, perspective, etc.
d) The different selection tools.
5. Image layers
a) Duplicate layer.
b) Percentage of opacity in the layers.
c) Layer styles.
d) Text input and its properties.
e) Blending options.
6. Image manipulation
a) Use of selection tools, clone stamp and layer mask.
b) Montages with several images.
7. Advanced image manipulation and retouching
a) Use of tools such as healing brush tool and patch tool.
b) Retouching and repairing old photographs.
c) Automations: application and creation of actions.
Constructive participation in class (20%).
Evaluation of group works (40%).
Evaluation of individual works (40%).
Exam: delivery of proposed individual works in class + new specific individual work (100%).
- DANAHER, S. (2003). Adobe Photoshop Every tool explained!. London: Future Publishing Ltd
- LYNCH, R. (2007). The Adobe Photoshop Layers Book. USA: Elsevier Ltd
- BEARDSWORTH, J. (2005). Photoshop Blending Modes Cookbook for Digital Photographers, ,. East Sussex, UK: Ilex Press Limited
Method of interaction
Practical classes for demonstrating, explaining and correcting the proposed tasks.
Weekly or fortnightly resolution of exercises (individual and in groups): execution of specific tasks related to the use of tools in a Photoshop environment.
Software used in class