Cultural Heritage Protection and Guardianship
Conservation and Restoration
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 15,0 TP + 2,0 OT
An introductory overview of cultural heritage protection and guardianship.
I.THE SAFEGUARD OF CULTURAL HERITAGE
1.Concepts of cultural heritage and safeguard
2.The origins and the first safeguard measures
3.Doctrinal, ideological and religious threats regarding cultural heritage
3.1.the concept of vandalismo and its typology
3.2.religious vandalismo: iconoclasm and religious war
3.3.political vandalismo: the "revolutionary iconoclasm"
3.4.other types of vandalism
5.Heritage claims in terms of international law; Elginism
II.HERITAGE GUARDIANSHIP ENTITIES
1.Entities for the protection of heritage. Global, European, Portuguese-speaking countries and national entities
2.Church and safeguarding of ecclesiastical heritage
1.3.nature and type of inventories
2.The study of heritage research sources
- continuous assessment with the minimum mark of 10/20 to pass.
- written exam for those who failed continuous assessment, minimum mark of 10/20 required to pass.
- CHOAY, F. (2000). A Alegoria do património. Lisboa: Edições 70
- Garcia Cuetos, M. (2011). El patrimonio cultural: conceptos basicos. Zaragoza: Prensas Universitarias
- GAMBONI, D. (1997). The destruction of art: Iconoclasm and vandalism since de French Revolution . London: Reaktion Books
- HERNANDEZ HERNANDEZ , F. (2002). El património cultural: la memoria recuperada. Gijón: Ediciones Trea
Method of interaction
Teaching methods include:
-delivery of theoretical content
-analysis of documentary sources
-use of audiovisual resources
Software used in class