Energy Efficiency in Buildings
Master's degree in Urban Rehabilitation, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 11549/2014 - 15/09/2014
5 ECTS; 2º Ano, 1º Semestre, 15,0 T + 30,0 TP + 4,0 OT
Students will be able to: recognise legal and regulatory requirements concerning energy performance and certification; characterise the thermal performance of buildings; project and select acclimatization systems; identify cost-effective measures with potential to enhance buildings enrg performance.
European Directives and most significant Portuguese laws, regulations and normalization on energy efficiency;
Buildings passive behaviour, bioclimatic design and sustainable measures.
Ventilation, heat and cooling: acclimatization systems constitution, conception and selection;
Regulation of buildings characteristics and terminal behaviour and Regulation on energetic systems for acclimatization in buildings - Indoor air quality and energy efficiency;
Assessment of buildings energy needs and energy certification of buildings;
Energy Audits: methodologies and technological solutions;
Energy rational use and conservation opportunities: strategies for improving buildings energy efficiency and integration of systems to profit endogenous resources;
Assessment of buildings management and running related costs, provisional maintenance costs and retrofitting solutions global costs; Economic analysis of energy related capital investments;
Presentation and discussion of the studies, team projects and practical coursework(mandatory - 60%);
Written tests (mandatory - 40%)
- Thumann, . Energy Conservation in Existing Buildings Deskbook. -: -
- Turner,, W. Energy Management Handbook. -: -
- Moret, A. (2009). Térmica de Edifícios. ISBN 978-972-8620-13-4: Orion
- Sá, A. (2008). Guia de aplicações de gestão de energia e eficiência energética. Lx: Publindústria
- Gonçalves, G. (2004). Conceitos Bioclimáticos para edifícios em Portugal. DGEG: ISBN 972-8268-34-3
- Moita, F. (1985). Energia Solar Passiva volume 1. DGE: Imprensa Nacional Casa da Moeda
Method of interaction
Lectures. Individual or group assignments or projects and team studies. Field trips.
Software used in class