Applied Conservation and Restoration
Mestrado em Conservação e Restauro, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 9982/2016 - 05/08/2016
15 ECTS; 1º Ano, Anual, 195,0 PL + 10,0 OT
- Luís Filipe Raposo Pereira
- Fernando Manuel Conceição Costa
- Fernando dos Santos Antunes
- Carla Maria P. Calado Rodrigues do Rego
- Ana Patrícia Bidarra dos Santos Lourenço
- Ricardo Pereira Triães
On completion of this unit students should have developed a good degree of autonomy in conservation and restoration and be able to diagnose, examine, identify and record movable and immovable assets. Make proposals for intervention and prepare conservation and restoration reports.
1. Speciality definition: painting, graphic documents, retables, Petrous Materials, Ceramic materials, Sculpture and Furniture.
2. Laboratory operation
3. Definition and development of a methodology of intervention
4. Analysis, study and intervention on cultural heritage objects
5. Report preparation
Assessment comprises two elements:
1. written assignment about a C&R intervention on an heritage item presented and assessed by an academic panel (20%).
2. Laboratory work and final report (80%) to be submitted in any period of assessment.
Minimum pass mark in each element of assessment is 10 out of 20.
- MARINCOLA, M. e KARGÈRE, L. (2020). The conservation of medieval polychrome wood sculpture: history, theory, practice, . Los Angeles: The Getty Conservation Institute
- RIVERS, S. e UMNEY, N. (2007). Conservation of Furniture. London: Routledge
- Stoner, J. e Rushfield, R. (2012). Conservation of Easel Paintings. London: Routledge
- AAVV, . (2014). Historical Perspectives in the Conservation of Works of Art on Paper. Los Angels: Ed. Margaret Holben Ellis, The Getty Conservation Institute
Method of interaction
Laboratory lessons focused on the development of conservation and restoration projects.
Software used in class