Electrical Machines (Major in Energy)
Electronics and Computer Engineering
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 28,0 T + 42,0 PL + 5,0 OT
- José Filipe Correia Fernandes
Basics of energy conversion, electric circuit analysis and mathematics (trigonometry and complex numbers)
The students will familiarize themselves with the safe operation of asynchronous machines (both rotating and linear), asynchronous machines and some special engines under safe conditions for equipment and user.
Fundamentals of 3-phase asynchronous machines. The air gap magnetic rotating field. Circuit model, brake and generator of these machines.
Starting and speed control methods of these 3-phase machines. 3-phase linear motors. Fundamentals and field systems of synchronous machines. Testing methods, curves and voltage regulation. Alternators and synchronous motors in the grid. Special motors.
Final mark=3/4 Mark of a written exam + 1/3 Average mark of laboratory experiences
- Fernandes, J. (2007). Acetatos de Máquinas Eléctricas. (Vol. 1). Tomar: IPT
- Umans, S. e Fitzerald, A. (2013). Máquinas Eléctricas. (Vol. 1). UK: McGraw-Hill
- Chapman, S. (2003). Electric Machinery Fundamentals. (Vol. 1). (pp. 1-744). UK: McGraw-Hill
- Nasar, S. (1997). Electric machines & Electromechanics. (Vol. 1). UK: McGraw-Hill Education
Method of interaction
Lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes.
Software used in class