History of Arts and Communication
Design and Graphic Arts, Publication in the Diário da República - Despacho nº 3359/2013 - 01/03/2013
4 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 T + 3,0 O
1.become acquainted with the broad lines of design history in graphic arts including the key developments in art and communication and the various forms of graphic illustration;
2.get familiar with the major phases of the history of book;
3.Methodological aspects for preparation of a monograph
1. Preliminaries: Communication, Language (and Languages), Symbols 2. Graphic verbal language: written and non-written 3. Art in graphic arts: general aspects; Art in time; The various forms of graphic arts (Illuminated manuscripts, Etchings, Photographs) 4. The history of book: in Antiquity; in the Middle Ages; from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century (from print revolution to Enlightenment); 5. Methodological guidelines for the preparation of the monograph.
Students must sit a written test and write a monograph (each contributing 50% of the final grade). An average mark of 10/20 exempts students from end-of-term exam. The monograph work should conform to the guidelines provided in class and to a specif
- BACKHOUSE, J. (1979). The Illuminated Manuscript. (Vol. 1). Singapura: Hardback BOOK
- BOLOGNA, G. (2000). Illuminated Manuscripts, The Book Before Gutenberg. (Vol. 1). Milão: London : Thames and Hudson
- Svend, D. (1994). Historia del Libro. Madrid: Alianza Editorial
- FEBVRE, L. (2000). O Aparecimento do Livro. Lisboa: Fundação Gulbenkian
Method of interaction
1. Theoretical lectures supported by audiovisual resources;
2. Practical lessons dealing with methodological issues. Individual support for the preparation of the monograph.
Software used in class