Design and Graphic Arts
6 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 90,0 TP + 6,0 OT
- Luís Miguel Alves de Oliveira
Provide knowledge and technical expertise in the silk screen printing process using tools, machinery and miscellaneous materials inherent to the process.
1.1 Image processing - line art and raster elements.
1.2 Silkscreen meshes; Frames; Tensioning devices.
1.3 Screen preparation (stretching).
1.4 Preparation of the emulsion and technical application -equipment?s and auxiliary materials.
1.5 Image transfer to the screen - equipment?s and auxiliary materials.
1.6 Developing - equipment?s and auxiliary materials.
1.7 Quality control - image retouch
2. Printing on various substracts with diferent originals.
2.1 Printing equipment?s and auxiliary materials.
2.2 Inks and substracts.
2.3 Preparation of the printing press.
2.5 Quality control during the production process.
2.6 Equipment cleaning and maintenance
2.7 Screen recovery.
1. Continuous assessment:
1.1. Class attendance - 5%
1.2. Work carried out during classes - 65%
1.3. Written test - 30%
2. In order to integrate the continuous assessment the students have to fulfill the following criteria:
Presence in 2/3 (two thirds) of the classes taught, and have performed the requested practical exercises with a evaluation equal or superior to 10 (ten) values.
3. Students who obtain a grade of 10 or more in the theoretical assessment (section 1.2) and in the practical assignments (section 1.3) will be exempt from final evaluation (exam).
4. Students who do not meet the conditions described in point 2 will be excluded from the final evaluation.
The student-workers must combine with the teacher, at the beginning of the semester, the methodology to be adopted in the work to be done, otherwise they lose the right to attend the U.C ..
5 - Final evaluation
5.1. The final evaluation (written test) will be only to students who meet the requirements of point 2 of the evaluation.
5.2. Evaluation Items:
5.2.1. Presence in class - 5% (point 1.1)
5.2.2. Work done during lessons - 65% (point 1.2)
5.2.3. Written exam (theoretical) - 30% (will only focus on the theoretical contents of the Curricular Unit)
- Stephens, J. (1996). Screen Process Printing. (Vol. 1). Inglaterra: Blue print
- SEFAR, S. (2006). Handbook for screen printers. (Vol. 1). Suiça: Sefar Inc. Printing Division
- Barbosa, C. (2009). Manual Prático de Produção Gráfica. (Vol. 1). Lisboa: Principia
- Kiphan, H. (2001). Handbook of Print Media. (Vol. 1). Alemanha: Springer
Method of interaction
Theoretical/practical classes supported by audiovisual resources. Study/description of mechanisms and technologies for industrial, artisanal and artistic printing processes. Laboratory work.
Software used in class