Psychology of Visual Perception
Design and Graphic Arts
5.5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 1º Semestre, 45,0 T + 15,0 TP + 4,0 O
- Isabel Maria da Cruz Ferreira
-Describe the functioning of visual system.
-Provide knowledge of perception organization.
-Identify colour characteristics in psychological and psycho-sociological terms
-Promote ability to represent the basic principles of good shape.
1. Conceptual delimitation of the course unit
2. Perception and knowledge (visual memory and visual thought)
3. Neurophysiology of sight
4. The Gestalt theory and the fundamental laws of perceptive grouping
5. Subjective outlines and visual illusions
7. Colour and colour combinations (contrast and analogy) main characteristics
8. Colour and legibility
9. Colour expression (psychological and psycho-sociological meaning)
Two mid-term written tests for admission to or exemption from final examination.
Examinations in approved examination periods.
- ARNHEIM, R. (1994). Arte e percepção visual. São Paulo: Editora Arte, arquitectura e urbanismo.
- GLEITMAN, H. (2011). Psicologia. Lisboa: F. Calouste Gulbenkian
- ITTEN, J. (1991). Art de la couleur.. Paris: Dessain e Tolra
- MONTCHAUD, R. (1994). La couleur et ses accords.. Paris: Fleurus Idées
Method of interaction
Lectures using datashow.
Theoretical-practical classes including experiments, problem solving, case study and literature review.
Software used in class