Masonry and Wood Structures
4 ECTS; 3º Ano, 1º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 PL
- Cristina Margarida Rodrigues Costa
Students should become familiar with the common construction techniques in resistant masonry, timber roofs and pavements; acquire the skills to apply previous knowledge of structural engineering and applicable regulations for the design of this structures.
1. Masonry structures: Types and performance of structural systems. Physical and mechanical properties of materials. Design for ultimate limit states. Global stability of masonry structures. Serviceability limit states. Constructive provisions.
2. Wood structures: Types and performance of structural systems. Physical and mechanical properties of materials. Design for ultimate limit states. Structural connections. Serviceability limit states. Constructive provisions.
3. Design of composite wood-concrete floors.
4. Design for different material connections.
Assessment consists of a written test (50% of the final mark) of a theoretical-practical nature worth 20 grade points, with the minimum pass mark of 8 grade points, and a practical assignment worth 20 grade points (50% of the final mark).
Regulamentos: RSA, EC1, EC5, EC6 e EC8.. -: Várias
- Lourenço, P. Manual de Dimensionamento Estrutural.. : APICER
- Faria, A. e Negrão, J. (2009). Projecto de Estruturas de Madeira. : Publindústria
- Ogden, R. e Henley, R. (1996). Connections between steel and other materials. Berkshire, UK: SCI
Method of interaction
Theoretical-practical lessons include presentation of theoretical considerations and discussion of practical issues. Practical lessons include tasks such as analysis and dimensioning of real-world examples.
Software used in class