5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 PL
- Ana Paula Gerardo Machado
Basics of Natural Sciences and Chemistry
Students should be able to distinguish between the different minerals, rocks and geological
structures and understand their mechanical behaviour and application in civil engineering. Interpretation of geological maps and geological profiles.
1. Structure and composition of the Earth
2. Internal geodynamics
3. Material types, scalar and directional properties and chemical
4. Crystallography and crystallochemistry
5. Study of minerals and rocks, laboratorial identification
6. Geologic structures
7. Study and geotechnical classification of rock masses
8. Geological maps and geological profiles
9. Portuguese geology
Written examination, with minimum grade of 40% in each component (theoretical and practical) and a minimum global average mark of 9,5.
- Costa, J. (2001). Estudo e Class. das Rochas por Exame Macroscópico. (Vol. -). -: F.C.G.
- Wilson, R. e Smith, P. e Gass, I. (1984). Vamos Compreender a Terra. (Vol. -). Coimbra: -
- Plummer, C. e McGeary, D. e Carlson, D. (2003). Physical Geology. (Vol. -). -: Mc Graw Hill
- Paquet, J. e Dercourt, J. (1986). Geologia, Objecto e Métodos. (Vol. -). Coimbra: Almedina
Method of interaction
Lectures and laboratory classes including macroscopic identification of minerals and rocks and preparation of geological profiles.
Software used in class