Human Resources Management
Tourism and Culture Management
5 ECTS; 1º Ano, 2º Semestre, 30,0 T + 30,0 TP
Students should understand:
- The place and role of Human Resources Management (HRM) in the context of business development;
- The importance of administrative and operational management of human resources;
- The importance of the strategic component of human resources in the study of behavioral variables.
At the end of the Course Students should demonstrate skills in the management of team relationships, the role of leadership and the importance of all other behavioral variables and their impact on the management of organizations.
The role of HRM and its importance in organizations.
Analysis of the different factors at the level of HRM.
The articulation of the HRM practices with the company strategy.
Administrative management and legal framework.
Analysis and description of functions.
The performance evaluation.
The organization and planning of careers.
Recruitment and selection of staff.
The importance of studying Organizational Behavior.
Organizational Processes: Design, Structures and Design.
Effectiveness in Organizations.
Individual Differences and Behavior at Work.
Motivation and Satisfaction at Work.
Group Behavior and Work Teams.
Power, Control and Conflict.
The Uncertainty of Specific Environments.
The Organizational Communication.
Multicultural Management: The manager of human resources and multiculturalism: attitudes and values to take into account. Understand the trends of our time and their impact on management.
Continuous assessment: 2 midterm tests and several group assignments. The students achieving a minimum mark of 10/20 in the mid-term exam and the group assignments will be exempted from taking the end-of-term exam. Final assessment: written exam
- Cunha, M. e Rego, A. (2010). Manual de Gestão de Pessoas e do Capital Humano. Lisboa: Edições Sílabo
- Hughes, C. (2015). Managing Human Resource Development Programs. UK: Palgrave Macmillan
- Lopes, A. e Martins, A. (2012). Capital Intelectual e Gestão Estratégica de Recursos Humanos. Lisboa: Editora RH
- Guerra, P. e Rodrigues, J. e Câmara, P. (2013). Humanator XXI. Lisboa: Editor D. Quixote
Method of interaction
The HRM module is mainly focused on the study of practical cases, which will allow to implement theoretical principles while providing the students with the skills to face real challenges in a creative way.
Software used in class